Monday, April 16, 2007

First Painting

.
.

This is the first painting I ever sold. Moved here from Georgia (USA) in 2000 and up until then had never sold a painting (never actually tried). Well, when I was in my 20's living in Harrisburg, PA, another artist tried to take me under his wing and got me into a group show where I exhibited two drawings in cheap, surplus store frames. On the day of the opening I overheard some people discussing my work, but it was all about the cheap frames. I skulked out of there and never showed again till I moved here.
.
This is titled "St Jacquelin" - because to a lot of people of that time thought she was at least royalty if not a true saint. And it's one of the first newspaper paintings; an ad from the NYTimes for a show at the Met or something. Had a hard time doing her halo - looks like a hat brim . . . . Hung it in a group show here at the mall. Right off a man came up and bought it. That felt good.
.
.

No comments: