Friday, January 09, 2009

Unreadable Stop Signs

.
This may not look like much to you, but for me it was a WOW, stop in my tracks kind of moment. It's a long story about why I'm so interested in abstract paintings with writing in them and I'll spare you the details. For me there is something personal and raw about work with unreadable language in it. It's like a stop sign; you read the English stop sign and that's that. If the word stop was in a different language you'd be intrigued by the sign and it's design instead. (And you'd also probably stop because the sign itself is a well known icon.) Being able to read what we see is like looking at clear glass - you look through and see what's on the other side. There's depth of field beyond the pane of glass. The inability to perceive what's written is like looking at dirty or frosted glass, which keeps our gaze at bay, limiting the dimensions of perception and forcing us to understand what we're seeing in a new way.
.

This looks like somethings been written and we automatically want to know what information it held. So, like the unreadable stop sign, we're forced to see the design. The mystery of what might have been said in those scuffed words is the extra something that makes this and others like it so special to me.

The image is from Ron's Web Album at Picasa. If you know who he is or how I could contact him to learn more of his work, please contact me. Here are more examples of this oeuvre from his album with similar woks.

.

No comments: