Monday, February 28, 2011

About my Abstract Pointillism . . .

.

.
You're looking at the edge of one of my paintings.

My Artist Statement:

Maintaining a sense of randomness and guided by intuition , I precisely paint each dot using arbitrary systems of placement for every new color; transforming the under paintings into pointillist illusions that speak of dreams and memories and remind us of how the layering of our personalities is merely a juxtaposition of our reactions to experiences in life.

Each artwork begins with an under painting that could be either amorphous abstract with a few writing elements, or an unfinished work from a different style series, or maybe a newspaper collage that I’ve colored with pastels; but each is transformed by adding the dots in an abstract/expressionist type way. My focus is on the painting’s internal balance rather than any normal painterly devices that would bring a preconceived, specific image to fruition. And by relinquishing control of the painting to mindless whims about color and placement, I look forward to being pleasantly surprised by the resulting patterns and composition.

These are experiments in which the painting and I engage in a subtle dialog and enjoyable relationship which results in hybrid images whose layers generate a new visual chemistry.
.
.
.

No comments: