Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Memory & Myth

.
Derrick Hickman's paintings draw you right in because you perceive that you can read them. So you start to read a word here and there and then it becomes obvious that you're not supposed to know the whole story. There are times that I too want to tell a story in paint, but don't necessarily want the viewer to be completely informed.
These abstracts are about myth and memory and the best way to explain that is to let you read this quote from an email.
"I began using text in my pieces a couple of years ago and the process always made me feel slightly exposed and vulnerable. My abstractions of text, line and color grew out of this discomfort of being so open. As I found myself trying to blur the line between public statement and privacy, I began to see the potential in this sort of coy expression. The process of painting each piece can be very cathartic. Going over each story, repeating blocks of color, sometimes for days. The stories (sometimes of great personal importance and sometimes trivial) begin to take on new meanings, depending on when I'm working on them and other outside influence. Much like our verbal story telling and how we try to frame it in some type of context that is permanent. We return to these stories later and find that we have to adjust them according to our new perspectives."
.
It's quite thought provoking to think that some of our memories border on myth and may become adjusted as we revisit them.

You'll want to visit his Web Site for more examples of his work.
.

No comments: