Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Words In Paintings

.
.

Is just one of many phrases I'd use in my Web searches for artists who wrote in their paintings.

A funny story is that I came across work by Cy Twombly and night after night I would search and search, using a new phrase each time to produce, hopefully, more and different results. Well, as luck would have it I stumbled across a Goggle Image result. Boy did I feel stupid ! All of that time, all I would have had to do is click on Images at the top of Google's search page to see the images I was looking for.

I don't know what influenced me, but somewhere along the line I started to write my thoughts into my paintings. For a while I would use cursive writing as the sole content and flesh it out by coloring in the spaces created by the letters

In 2000 I moved to New York state from Atlanta GA and started my Web searches for other artists who did the same. At this same time I started doing abstract pointillism and searched for those artists too. As I started collecting results it seemed a good idea to do a Blog, both to save that research and to share it.

So I hope you'll check out the lists of all the artists I've collected in the right hand column. It's quite inspiring to see all the different ways that they express themselves and to read what brought them to their particular oeuvre.



.

No comments: