Sunday, August 02, 2009

Paintings That Speak

.
Suzanne McClelland was an early favorite of mine. By that I mean that during my Web searches, years ago, she was one of the artists who immediately caught my eye. Isn't it awesome that an artist can take some words (a thought) and make a painting with it? There's an old saying, that I'm sure you've heard too, that a painting "speaks to me". Well, in this case it's a definite yes if your reading the words in Suzanne's paintings
.
.
What sparked this post was seeing the above image and following it to her Website. I was a little disappointed with the site. As with a lot of artists these days they don't have an Artist Statement, but instead have "Press" where you can read what the critics say. Although educational, I'm still a big fan of hearing the artist explain their own oeuvre. And there weren't as many images of her work as I had expected, so I'm including links to four Galleries that either represent or exhibit her work. Between the many images and the text, you'll be more able to fully understand and appreciate her oeuvre.
.

You'll find 24 images and installation shots at the Sue Scott Gallery.

And at Lorissa Goldston Gallery, 22 images.

A whopping 46 images at One Eye Pug.
.
The above image is from K.S. Art Online where they have installations shots of her small works.
.

No comments: