Tuesday, October 27, 2009

More Dots Than Dashes

.
This Blog was originally birthed out of my searches for artists who wrote in their paintings. As I was browsing through my many categorized Favorites Folders to do a post this evening, I noticed a tremendously larger amount of artists in the Dot categories than in the Writing and Word categories. This could mean any number of things, but I immediately set out to correct this imbalance by Googling the word calligraffiti. The results are interesting, but the real kicker came when I visited a good descriptive article about the different styles of graffiti at WebUrbanist. Half way down the page was the word Calligraffiti and a paragraph that states - quote Calligraffiti is a combination of calligraphy and graffiti invented by Amsterdam graffiti artist Shoe (also known as Niels Meulman). It’s a somewhat stylized but still easy-to-read lettering style. It brings together the best parts of calligraphy and graffiti by putting beautiful and artful letters into an urban setting. unquote.



I really do beg to differ: there are just way too many artists who have already used that word and cast it aside because it's just too unwieldy. Be that as it may, here is a pic of him - Niels 'Shoe' Meulman - painting his calligraffiti on a coffin. Yes, and you can read about it Here.

Personally, I'd like to see someone pursue GRAFFIGRAPHY.
.
Image from Mediamatic.
.

No comments: