Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Painting Collage

.
Was reading Art News today and saw a beautiful advert for work by Cecil Touchon at Gilman Contemporary. Seeing those images made me want to visit His Web Site where I stumbled across these two great examples of his oeuvre. The work on the left is a 9"x 6" collage on paper; on the right, a 54"x 36" (diptych) acrylic painting on canvas. Quite obviously his collages inform his paintings. After reading some Statements and press Releases, searching for a short explanation of his oeuvre, it seemed that comparing these two works would best sum up the mechanics of his visual poetry. His compositions are always splendid, the collages are amazing and then when he adds the trompe l’oeil effect to the paintings - well you really must treat yourself and visit his site.



















Click to enlarge images.


Now and then I pat myself on the back when I find a prestigious gallery that has several artists that I like and follow, in their stable. In this case they are Alex Couwenberg, John Dempcy, Bernd Haussmann and of course Cecil. Gilman's whole line-up is a great mix of good artists that are well worth your time.

No comments: