Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Minimal & Abstract Photography

.



Photography is something I dabbled in for a while in my early 20's. Had several cameras, the developing equipment and even took a course or two. Actually, since I had figured out that I wasn't gonna be no Picasso with my painting, it seemed like an easy alternate route to being an artist. But I digress.

Gil Mares is a great photographer who has discovered that the hulls of ships make for beautiful and intriguing subject matter and definitely shows his skill as an artist. Although this particular image gives itself away, you'll be amazed and intrigued by the beauty he presents to us in images that are not so easily recognized. By zooming in he presents us with colorful, bold abstracts that are so simple and yet make us think.

This image is from his page at the Kidder Smith Gallery, where you'll find 14 examples of his work and an Artist's Statement that explains it all.

And you'll especially want to go to his website to see all the wonderful works he has there. Isn't it fantastic how an artist can show us something that's familiar and make it so fresh and compelling ?


.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, those turned out to be much cooler than I thought they would. My favorite is "Organic Hull"- a real stunner!