Sunday, January 27, 2008

Desktops



Lockheed-Martin is such a big deal in Atlanta Georgia that when the name is mentioned, people actually genuflect. It's a huge place that pretty much qualifies as a self-contained city. I worked for the company that had the contract to move and store their office furniture. To the uninitiated, it doesn't seem like much, but imagine that they want to remodel the second largest building on base. First they move some groups of people out of the way, more moving, etc and then down the road we move an entire 4 story office building of people into the remodeled area. That's just a glimpse of all the movement of people and groups, that goes on on a daily basis. All desks are 30 x 60 inches and most people have a clear Plexiglas sheet that they put on top of their desk so as to easily see pertinent information. Through the years many seemed to become less fond of these, especially since so much info is just a mouse click away. That means that with every move we would be throwing out more than a few of these "desktops".

What a cool support for a painting; or so I thought. You could paint on both sides and go for a 3-D effect. At the time, I was renting a duplex with 3 other guys and was the proud owner of one of those big old clunky easels. So there was this desktop, begging to be painted, standing there on my easel and I painted a painting of my easel. What ever you paint on the backside has to be done in reverse, which is kinda cool. At the time, there were these wonderful, huge art supplies around Atlanta - talk about your out of mind experience ! So you'll notice that several kinds of paper are incorporated into the "Easel" painting on you right. Another thing I discovered were the acrylic paint, felt tip marker pens. It was a blast, graffiti-izing the painting, top left, titled, "Hi Scotty".

In the 19 years that I lived in the Atlanta area (mostly Marietta) I moved over a dozen times. Some places were conducive to painting, others, not so much. But where ever I went I took all my paintings with me - until I decided to move up here. And then over the course of several weeks, I went through my drawings and paintings over and over and talked myself into throwing away almost every single work . The goal was to pack my car as lightly as possible and if it wasn't important, it couldn't come. On the one hand I'm happy not to be burdened with so much stuff. On the other, it was a shame to think so poorly of my work. Fortunately, someone invented the camera.

Both photos will enlarge.

No comments: