Friday, January 25, 2008

"Who Knew" - Dept.

One of David Smith's sculptures, "Cubi XXVIII", made the same year he passed, sold at auction for $23,816,000. in November 2005 and broke all records for price for a contemporary sculpture. I'll have to admit that when it comes to sculpture, my eyes tend to glaze over. It's not that I can't or don't appreciate that facet of the art world - I just wanna see the paintings !

So when I saw an advert for a show of his spray paintings, I had to check it out and am glad I did. The above image, "Untitled 7363.127", is not from his current show at the Madison Ave Gagosian Gallery. It's from Artnet.com, where you can see 59 of his works; 19 of which are the "sprays". What's immediately apparent is that these are 2-dimensional sculptures. They're quite uncanny and give insight into his oeuvre.

You'll also want to read his "Chronology" from his Estate Website.

No comments: