Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Fond Memories

.



This is one of the very first images of Michael Goldberg that I came across, years ago, and I remember the impact it had on me. Right about that time I had just learned how to Other Click on an image and then choose to put it on your desktop. This image was on my PC screen for quite a while and I would study it and feel encouraged and invigorated. His oeuvre changed a bit over the years, but definitely remained "his". Born on December 24, 1924 he had a "good run" and even painted a new body of work in his last year, 2007. When you view that work you can hardly believe it's all oilstick because of the new technique he used. The works are bold, bright and vibrant.
You can see a short video review of his last show at Knoedler & Company by James Kalm, here. The video is of three different shows in Chelsea and Michael's show is in the middle. He's no linger with us, having passed on December 30, 2007, but he left us some beautiful artwork to enjoy.
The image, "Grand Sichuan" 2000, oil and oilstick on canvas 40 x 35.5 inches, is from artincontext.org.

.

No comments: