Friday, December 14, 2007

Alessandro Algardi

.
.
There are some evenings when I should have stopped searching the Web and gone to bed, when suddenly I'll come across a spectacular find. And this was so worth staying up for. I have no idea what to try and tell you about this guy, because what few sites have his work are in Italian(?). He was born in Milano in 1945; there's lots of words and dates after that, but it ain't in English. And it's unfortunate that he shares the same name with a famous old master sculptor.




To me this was a severely stupendous find. How rich and luxurious and mysterious. There's so many levels to comprehend in these quiet works. I'm not sure if there are actual words and sentences involved, or if this is just mark-making. Either way, it's still powerful yet soft and subtle.





These images are from the best site for seeing his work - artantide.com, where they have 6 images.
.

No comments: